Already DNA testing is commonplace. Through pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD), a process in which the genes of an embryo are profiled, many disorders such as cystic fibrosis and sickle-cell anemia can be detected. Additionally, the diagnosis can determine the sex of the embryo. By using this process, families have the ability to select the embryo of their choice by sex and by their profile of genetic disorders. Many scientists see such selection as questionable in its ethics. Is it really fair to choose a child free of a disorder? There are even some cases where parents attempt to choose embryos that have a disorder to provide a cure for an already affected child by extracting blood from the umbilical in order to create a cure.
Even with questioning floating around, members of the scientific community are looking forward to the next stop of the eugenics movement. What exactly would this entail? Well, not only would parents be able to select their child based on sex and medical profile, but phenotype as well. Essentially, the process would involve ordering a child much like one would order a salad, choosing exactly what ingredients go in and knowing how it will look once it is completely assembled. Other traits such as intelligence, artistic ability, and athletic ability are factors that, once the genes that contribute to them are discovered within the genome, can also be added to the recipe.
Eugenics allows humans to play God, picking and choosing what they like and what they don't about their genes in order to create the "perfect" human.With eugenics, surprise and anticipation would no be longer factors in the path to parenthood. If there were already concerns with over-involved parents, eugenics would take the intensity a step further, allowing parents to plan well in advance for their children, already knowing what their dispositions would be like. Perhaps some will go so far as to stick a pipette into someone else's gene pool to select the traits they want in their offspring, thereby changing the whole dynamic of heredity. Instead of being the product of two sets of DNA, a child may have genes that come from myriad other people.
Perhaps the most frightening aspect of a world of eugenics comes from the imaginings of worlds such as those found in Gattaca and 1984: a genetic based hierarchy. Like the "valids" and "in-valids" of Gattaca and the Greek letter classifications of 1984, a future earth could have a society of classes divided on the principle of the "haves" and "have-nots". The United States already sports a wide gap between the wealthy and the middle and lower classes. If liberal eugenics, meaning that the betterment of the human population would not be controlled by the government, were to take-off, wealthy families could groom their offspring to perfection thereby increasing this gap and making it nearly impossible for those of the lower classes to rise to success. After all, eugenic procedures are expensive and painstaking, meaning only a portion of the population would be able or even willing to pay the price for a test-tube baby. Imagine all the elitism that would stem from having one "genetically perfect" group of people.
Lastly, and perhaps most disconcertingly, following the pathway of eugenics completely discards Darwin's theory of natural selection. Already with the use of medicines, humans can in someway cheat early death, and therefore natural selection. In engineering babies, all issues that could lead to the untimely demise of a human could be erased with a few clicks of a button. The gene pool would also become more limited, as the genes containing mutations and undesirable traits would slowly disappear from the genetics make-up of the population. In accordance to Darwinian thinking, limiting the gene pool inhibits evolution and thereby prevents adaptation. This way, eugenics can be seen as a self-destructive mechanism of the human race. In perfecting ourselves, we would be limiting our genes and which would in turn lead to the demise of the human race.
So what do you all think? Is eugenics good or bad, or is there a "but"?
Fall
I write this as I lay dying. My blood seeps through the crackle pattern of my cells, creating red patterns on my fingertips, my arms, my forehead. I can feel the cerebral spinal fluid slowly sinking, and my brain lodging itself in the crest of my spine. A quiet whisper of sound that finds its way through my bones, to my marrow, to my life source. I can hear the scrambled speech mutations, and scattered DNA, As and Cs colliding and wondering why two pieces of a puzzle cannot fit so perfectly. And my heart gathers in my throat with the taste of iron, and the sword that pierced and dove rests perfectly within my teeth. I can taste the earth's molten core burbling through eons of rock piled into sickly layers so much thicker than my human skin.
If I try to think, I believe I can see my future. Above me the stars tumble into pirouettes, and catastrophize into blinding light patterns across my retina. And my cells cry out and recombine into the tessellated designs of elements so simply pure. Reminding me that I am no longer pure, yet I never was. These compounded atoms so fragile they are strong.
I am bliss within my ignorance, I have magma in my bones. We became one as you wrestled away my dignity and pride. But I've cried so much, my tears have become air. And I've felt so much I can only recycle my emotions. And with all of this and so much more, all I can say is diligo te.
So, when I first started reading this, it sort of reminded me of your article in the next issue of the Shield about the ethics of implanting human cells into mice. But then I read further, and even though I've heard of the possibility of playing Tetris with a baby (and I compare it to Tetris because of the goal to make everything fit "perfectly" in a world where perfection doesn't exist), I've never really considered it in this much detail. It's just... wow. Personally, no matter the technology of the future, I'd much rather leave any future child of mine to develop the way he or she will. Kids have enough stress on them these days (and we would know!) without having to live up even more to their parents' dreams. I mean, how can a living, breathing person even possibly compete with the impossibility of a dream?
ReplyDeleteThis is a great and thought-provoking post! :)
~Becky
You are really amazing. Honestly I saw this post and how long it was and shied away from it a bit. But I'm really glad that I read it; it really captured my attention and did not put me off one bit. I don't think it's just the topic, it's the way you wrote it.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I think eugenics is just...wrong. But that's just me. I mean why should we be able to dictate how others live? We are human beings with all our "imperfections", and those imperfections teach us things. You're right that we'd end up stopping evolution. We'd probably end up all the same as we tried to reach "perfection" - whatever that is.