Monday, May 20, 2013

Changeling


"All change is not growth, all movement is not forward."
―Ellen Glasgow

I often view change as something beautiful. A slow drift of objects through a current, constantly switching paths with such fluidity. A time-lapse video, the lights ebbing and flowing into a multitude of patterns across the retina. A smooth switch from winter to spring, spring to summer, summer to fall, and winter to spring where the pattern begins once again. But this year has taught me that beauty and change do not come hand in hand. Change will not necessarily be right or simple or forward or perfect or easy. It can be rough and confusing and detrimental. Sometime change can set you back both physically and mentally, miles away from your starting place, and eons away from your goal.

Change, my friend; change, my foe. I have had a plethora of wonderful opportunities this year, chances for willful change both for myself and for the community around me. I'm a member of the Youth Engagement Committee of the City of Campbell, a blogger for a site with 5,000 followers, and a member of the Teen Interfaith Council of Santa Clara County. I've experienced Newton's Third Law of Change, and seen that it doesn't always ring quite true. That for every effort I make to change society, to leave a small imprint of my being, results in a greater change for myself than on society and what I set about affecting.

However, unarguably, change has made me grow. Change itself counts among the greatest of my teachers. What I know and what I don't know constantly varies from second to second, minute to minute, and day to day. At the start of this year, I believed I knew exactly what I wanted and where and when I wanted it, but as I have been affected by the world around me - by the countless articles I've written for The Shield and the myriad essays I have written for this class, by the constant flashes of world news from the Boston Marathon Bombings to the Sweatshops of Bangladesh, by the consistent destruction of the environment, by the unfair ideals of society furthered by the government -  I have opened my eyes to all the possibilities I shut out before I gave them a chance to speak. This school year has changed me by making me more open to the world around me, giving me opportunities to see where the path of my life might stray, where its can help, where it can leave an imprint.

At first, in all of this uncertainty I began to worry, thinking that the once stable foundation I had built for myself was slowly slipping away and that this change was moving me backward, not forward, yet in the end it's been a most worthwhile self-exploration. I realized I have a solid idea of who I want to be and what I want to do, but I have  to choose the way in which I want my vision to manifest. There are so many options that can benefit the world, allow me to be creative, and give me the opportunity to travel the world, but which one to choose?

Among my friends, I am viewed as the decisive one, the one who doesn't take hours to choose which of two desserts to eat or what route take. In other words, I am The Decider. Now, with such an important decision before me that lies in the realm of "Big Decisions" rather than "Trivialities", I don't know what do. There's not really one thing I'm best at; I have an equal affinity for all the fields I am considering. I'm back at square one but, unlike my past self who felt that she needed a perfectly drawn out map of the next 10-20 years of her life, I am willing to float along greeting and bumping into other floating objects that come my way. I've realized that perhaps the best way to change the world is to change myself, to become adaptable, to become open. I have become free.

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”

― Leo Tolstoy
Wishes
Paddling out to the sea among the stars
                                  wishes colliding
                                  faiths subsiding
                                 patience abiding
I look down at a marble of green and blue
                                 wisps of clouds
                                 tectonic crowds
                                 bellowing sounds
Picture the multitudes of people
                                 healthily walking
                                 loudly talking
                                 frantically rocking
We wait for our destinies
                                 to arrive in our hands
                                 like shells on the sands
                                 of endless lands
But I'm tired of all this
                              watching
                              waiting
                              stopping
Let me leap into the abyss of impossibility
                              squandering all sorrow
                              whittling away all despair
                              floating away, free

5 comments:

  1. Hey Sofia! Your post is a great conclusion to this year-long assignment, and I think it rings especially true to me, someone who's watched you go through all of this change and inadvertently been changed just by being around you. Every part of your post is so honest and I think, in that way, it's especially helpful to someone like you - someone who pushes herself to be the best to the point where she almost loses sight of who she is. (I'm not saying that that's a bad thing - I totally admire you for your insanely packed schedule!) Also, your reference to indecisive friends... Give me a second while I look into the corner guiltily.

    Thank you for sharing your story of change and thank you for taking me with you along this tumultuous evolution of life :)

    Becky Hill

    ReplyDelete
  2. you managed to pick a tolstoy quote that is quite justifying of wasteful bourgeois lifestyle :p
    however knowing you i know you are far from the bolshevik image of bourgeois
    you have done more tikkun olam already than most people do in their whole lives.
    no matter what path you choose, remember to walk with god. be good to everyone. and as tolstoy might encourage, take care of yourself, because just being you and being around is enough for people to look up to.
    tolstoy did good and died bitter. it would be criminal for you to suffer the same fate. i pray you have a wonderful summer and not a minute too little's rest

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ti Sofia. Your post brings me a feeling of conception and apprehension. Your words of change could be more valid; for after all, what is the state of the universe but a series of changes? Much has occurred, and yet you state that you feel as if your change brings you in a circle. This statement rather piques my interest, as I am reminded of the great cycles of nature expressed in many world philosophies and beliefs, like Buddhism, Hinduism, or the Maya religion. Akin to the theory of samsara bringing one out of ignorance, your experiences have put you in the same situation with more wisdom. The Manichaeists believed that the world is balanced between the light and the dark, both essential parts of existence, just as exists in the Daoist Taiji principle. I can not say what the significance your experiences may have, but I believe that growth can only be founded through change. Evolution itself is based upon change, and while random, beneficial traits which arise tend to survive in future generations. Perhaps you may use this concept in your personal growth.

    From Rex Gao.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a synthesis world, Sofia. All your interests will fuel you. You'll find success, satisfaction, and perspective all at once. You don't need to deny, hide, or neglect any part of you. Ever.

    As for the college/career path, don't think of it as the "right" major. Think of it as the "right now" major. Which interest gets the honor of being the temporary primary? Life isn't written in ink, dear. It's all in glorious pencil.

    ReplyDelete